How to write a thank you note for money with examples
Money is one of the top gifts received at weddings and graduations. Anytime you receive money as a gift, write a thank you note to the person to show your gratitude and appreciation.
Growing up I wrote many thank you notes after receiving cash from relatives for Christmas and birthday presents. I had lots of practice by the time I graduated from high school, college, and got married.
Perhaps this is your first time writing a thank you, and you are not sure what to say. To help you determine what to say, let’s consider two scenarios that unfold when money is received as a gift:
- You spend it
- You save it
When spending the money:
Mention what you spent the money on. Even if it is something boring, like a tank of gas. The goal is to let the giver know how their money impacted your life.
Thank you for attending our wedding and for the generous gift. We used it to help buy a new couch. We will enjoy it for many years to come.
Heidi + Ted
When you save the money:
Indicate what you are saving the money for. This will let the giver know how their gift is helping you reach a long-term goal.
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Jones,
Thank you for the graduation gift. I plan to save the money for future college-related expenses. I also enjoyed visiting with you at my graduation party.
Tips for thank you notes for money:
- Do include what you will be doing or did with the money, unless the money is a raise or bonus at your job. If the cash was a gift from your boss, you may also not want to say what you did with it. This would depend on the relationship with your boss.
- Do not mention the amount that was given. The person will know how much they gave to you.
- If the cash was in the form of a check, it is okay to say “Thank you for the check”.
- Instead of saying “money” it is okay to say “gift”.
- If you do not know how you will spend the money or what you are saving for, it is okay to say that too. Say “I will be adding this money to my savings until I need it.”
- Be honest. Don’t say “I am saving the money for college” if that isn’t true.
- Include at least two sentences. Only saying “Thanks for the money!” will leave the giver wondering what you did with the money.
- Let the giver know how their money helped you.
- Remember, the thank you note does not need to be complicated or long. Two or three sentences will be fine.
- If the money was for an event such as birthday, anniversary, graduation, or wedding the word can be placed before the word gift or money in the note. For example, birthday money, anniversary money, graduation gift, or wedding money.
Thank you note for money examples
#1 I appreciate the check you mailed. The timing was perfect as I was not going to be able to pay the full gas bill. Your money will keep my heat on. God bless!
#2 Thank you for the birthday money. I had fun spending it on Amazon. I ordered a new cookbook and a few other books that have been on my want list, including [book name]. I am looking forward to hours of enjoyable reading.
#3 I was very surprised to receive your card and gift in the mail today. I used it to splurge on dinner at my favorite sushi restaurant. I felt happy to be able to sit at the sushi bar and be able to order anything I wanted. Thank you very much!
#4 Thank you for the gift card to [store name]. I love shopping there. I picked out some new wool socks to keep me warm this winter.
#5 Thank you for the graduation gift. I plan to save the money for future college-related expenses. I also enjoyed visiting with you at my graduation party.
#6 The money you sent for my graduation is appreciated. I will be using it right away towards a used car to so that my parents don’t need to drive me to work anymore. Also, thank you for coming to the party!
#7 Thank you for the money! I am saving up for [item name] and your gift got me closer to the goal. I appreciate your generosity.
#8 I have received the check that you mailed. Thank you for your gift towards my mission trip. I will share all the details with you upon my return from [mission trip location]. Your support has helped make it possible for me to be able to go.
#9 Thank you for sending us wedding anniversary money. We used it for a wonderful dinner at [Restaurant Name] and to cover the cost of the baby sister. A night out was just want we needed.
#10 We appreciate the money you sent us. That was a very nice surprise when we opened your card. We are adding it to our envelope for replacement windows.
Examples to thank your boss for a cash gift
The examples below are for when your boss gave you cash, and you don’t want to share what you did with the money (You should probably share if the money was for a baby gift or wedding). To thank your boss for a raise or bonus read the post here. They will be a bit more generic than I usually recommend.
#1 Thank you for the cash. I appreciate it and will do something fun with it!
#2 I am excited about the cash you gave me for my recent work anniversary. Thank you!
#3 You’re a wonderful boss! Thank you for the cash for my birthday. That was a wonderful and unexpected surprise.
#4 Thank you for the money recognizing my contribution to the team. I will be spending it or saving it soon! I don’t think I should tell you what I do with my money.
#5 What a great week we had with sales last week! I am grateful for the cash bonus I received. Thank you for making sure our team got a cut of the profit.
For more tips read: How to write a thank you note in 5 easy steps.
Share your tips or questions in the comments below!