How to write a thank you note for money with examples
Money is one the top gifts received at weddings and graduations. Anytime you receive money as a gift, write a thank you note to the person to show your gratitude and appreciation.
Growing up I wrote many thank you notes after receiving cash from relatives as Christmas and birthday presents. I had lots of practice by the time I graduated from high school, college, and got married.
Perhaps this is your first time writing a thank you and you are not sure what to say. To help you determine what to say, let’s consider two scenarios that unfold when money is received as a gift:
- You spend it
- You save it
When spending the money:
Mention what you spent the money on. Even if it is something boring, like a tank of gas. The goal is to let the giver know how their money impacted your life.
Thank you for attending our wedding and for the generous gift. We used it to help buy a new couch. We will enjoy it for many years to come.
Heidi + Ted
When you save the money:
Indicate what you are saving the money for. This will let the giver know how their gift is helping you reach a long-term goal.
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Jones,
Thank you for the graduation gift. I plan to save the money for future college-related expenses. I also enjoyed visiting with you at my graduation party.
Tips for thank you notes for money:
- Do include what you will be doing or did with the money, unless the money is a raise or bonus at your job.
- Do not mention the amount that was given. The person will know how much they gave to you.
- If the cash was in the form of a check, it is okay to say “Thank you for the check”.
- Instead of saying “money” it is okay to say “gift”.
- If you really do not know how you will spend the money or what you are saving for, it is okay to say that too. Say “I will be adding this money to my savings until I have a need for it”.
- Be honest. Don’t say “I am saving the money for college” if that isn’t true.
- Include at least two sentences. Only saying “Thanks for the money!” will leave the giver wondering what you did with the money.
- Let the giver know how their money helped you.
- Remember, the thank you note does not need to be complicated or long. Two or three sentences will be fine.
- If the money was for an event such as birthday, anniversary, graduation, or wedding the word can be placed before the word gift or money in the note. For example, birthday money, anniversary money, graduation gift, or wedding money.
Thank you note for money examples
#1 I appreciate the check you mailed. The timing was perfect as I was not going to be able to pay the full gas bill. Your money will keep my heat on. God bless!
#2 Thank you for the birthday money. I had fun spending it on Amazon. I ordered a new cookbook and a few other books that have been on my want list, including [book name]. I am looking forward to hours of enjoyable reading.
#3 I was very surprised to receive your card and gift in the mail today. I used it to splurge on dinner at my favorite sushi restaurant. I felt happy to be able to sit at the sushi bar and be able to order anything I wanted. Thank you very much!
#4 Thank you for the gift card to [store name]. I love shopping there. I picked out some new wool socks to keep me warm this winter.
#5 Thank you for the graduation gift. I plan to save the money for future college-related expenses. I also enjoyed visiting with you at my graduation party.
#6 The money you sent for my graduation is appreciated. I will be using it right away towards a used car to so that my parents don’t need to drive me to work anymore. Also, thank you for coming to the party!
#7 Thank you for the money! I am saving up for [item name] and your gift got me closer to the goal. I appreciate your generosity.
#8 I have received the check that you mailed. Thank you for your gift towards my mission trip. I will share all the details with you upon my return from [mission trip location]. Your support has helped make it possible for me to be able to go.
#9 Thank you for sending us wedding anniversary money. We used it for a wonderful dinner at [Restaurant Name] and to cover the cost of the baby sister. A night out was just want we needed.
#10 We appreciate the money you sent us. That was a very nice surprise when we opened your card. We are adding it to our envelope for replacement windows.
For more tips read: How to write a thank you note in 5 easy steps.
Share your tips or questions in the comments below!