Below you will find example messages to say thank you for the birthday wishes and birthday gifts. And there are also examples to thank someone for giving you a birthday card.
For gifts, I recommend sending or delivering a handwritten thank you note card. The sample messages will help you with what to write in a thank you card for a birthday gift.
For birthday wishes received via a text message or Facebook (or other social media), you can thank people using a text message, Facebook, etc.
Since gift cards are a popular gift for birthdays, there is a section of examples to help you with wording for saying thanks for birthday gift cards.
Please note: This post contains affiliate links. If you use my links and make a purchase, I will receive a commission.
More Birthday Related Thank You Posts
- If the birthday gift was from your boss, there are thank your boss for a birthday gift note examples in this post (birthday wishes from the boss are below).
- To thank someone for birthday flowers review the examples here.
- The examples of how to thank for money may also be helpful. Just remember to add “birthday” before the word gift or money.
- Read here for examples to thank someone for attending your birthday party.
- Or, if you want to say thank you for inviting you to the party, review these examples.
- If you need to say thank you for a book, these examples may help.
If you’d like your young children to write thank you notes, you may want to consider fill-in-the-blank cards to help make it easier for them, such as these cards on Amazon (affiliate link):
Birthday Thank You Notes and Tips
- The examples below are the center section of a thank you note.
- For more details on what a thank-you note should look like with the greeting and closing, you can review the 5 easy steps to writing thank you notes.
- [Words in brackets] in the messages below should be replaced as makes sense for your note.
- Be as specifc as possible, and include what the actual gift was in your message.
- Use a printable tracker to list gifts and the giver so that you do not have to remember who gave you which brithday gift.
- This list here may able to you determine if you want to write thank you messages for brithday cards.
- If you recieved a gift and a card, review the messages in the gift and card sections (combining wording as needed).
Birthday Gift Thank You Message Examples
1. Thank you for [gift] for my birthday. I will [use/enjoy/read/listen/appropriate verb] [to] it soon. I was excited that you remembered how much I like [the subject matter of gift]. [I also thank you for coming to the party – include if you had a party].
2. Thank you for the money for my birthday! I will be spending it on lunches out while at the office. I usually pack my life every day, so going out will be a real treat for me!
3. I enjoyed seeing you at my birthday party and appreciate that you found a wine bottle from the year I was born. I will be saving the bottle for the shelf after we drink the wine.
4. I love the cat coloring book that you gave me for my birthday. I had no idea that adult coloring books are the rage now. This book is perfect for me, given my love of cats! I am looking forward to coloring while I watch TV in the evenings. Thank you!
5. Thank you for sharing my birthday with me. I also appreciate the gift card to [restaurant name]. Your dad and I like to go there at least once a week.
6. I am thankful for the time we had together on my birthday! Dinner out at [restaurant name] was a surprise. I had fun and enjoyed our conversation. I will be sure to take you out on your birthday this year!
7. Thank you for the blanket you made for me for my birthday. The design is beautiful, and your sewing abilities are unique. I will treasure the blanket for years to come! [Family Member Name] has hinted that he would like one of your homemade blanks too!
8. The cat earrings you picked out for me are perfect. They are cute, and as you know, I don’t think all cat items are cute! I will wear these earrings often as they are adorable. They remind me of my cat, [cat name].
9. Thank you for coming to my 40th birthday party! You were a lot of fun, and everyone loved your jokes and storytelling. Thank you for making the party great.
10. Thank you for spending the day with me on my birthday! I had fun at the zoo, and dinner afterward was great as well. I enjoyed spending the day with you and giving me the gift of your time.
Thank You for the Birthday Gift Cards Messages
Tip: If you’ve used the gift card before writing your note, you can say what you used it for. And you do not need to state the amount of the gift card.
1. Thank you for the Amazon Gift Card for my birthday. I love having the freedom to buy whatever I choose and having so many choices. I am leaning towards a stack of new novels to read.
2. I am so thankful for the birthday gift card to [place]. It’s my favorite place to shop, and I look forward to a spending spree soon. Also, thanks for the lovely card.
3. You are a wonderful friend to bless me with a gift card to [local grocery store]. I love spending a little extra on expensive cheese. It was the perfect birthday treat for me!
4. Thanks for the Kohl’s gift card to celebrate my birthday. I will be using it for some new slippers and jeans. I appreciate that you thought of me again this year.
5. I am thankful for you and that you always remember my birthday. The gift card to Cabela’s is excellent as I’m saving them to buy [expensive product]. Also, thank you for making the chocolate birthday cake.
6. The gift card to [store] was a nice surprise for my birthday! I will think of you when I am there shopping. You are a wonderful aunt. I look forward to seeing you at the family Christmas party.
7. Thank you for the gift card to Chewy.com. As you know, I use the site to purchase many things for the cats. It’s so convenient, and with the gift card, I will feel like next month’s kitty litter is free. Also, I will be getting the cats some new toys!
8. I am thankful for you and appreciate the generous birthday gift card to [place]. I will have fun spending it and thanks for the birthday wishes.
Thank You for the Birthday Wishes Messages
Note: the messages below with “all” or referring to a group will work well in emails to several people (such as your coworkers) or as a Facebook status.
1. Thank you for the birthday wishes! I appreciate hearing from you on my birthday.
2. Thank you to all of you who wished me a happy birthday! I had a great day. First, I had cake at work and then a nice dinner out.
3. I appreciate the birthday wishes! I am excited to see what happens in the next year!
4. I am grateful for all of you and appreciate everyone for wishing me a happy birthday. I was able to celebrate with my coworkers during lunch. [Spouse Name] and I will be having a fancy dinner this weekend.
5. Thank you for recognizing my birthday. I feel loved receiving so many happy birthday wishes.
6. I enjoy hearing from you on my birthday each year. Thank you for the nice card and birthday wishes.
7. Thank you for remembering my birthday! I was surprised by your email. We should catch up soon.
Examples To Thank Boss For Birthday Wishes
Note: The examples above may work for your boss as well, but sometimes you may want to use slightly different wording, such as complimenting your boss.
1. Thank you for wishing me a happy birthday at the team meeting today. You are a wonderful boss, and I enjoy working for you.
2. You are a very thoughtful and considerate boss! Thank you for wishing me a happy birthday. It made me feel okay working on my birthday since I didn’t take the day off!
3. What a wonderful boss you are! I was surprised that you remembered my birthday. The birthday card from the team was appreciated. I was told that you were the organizer for it. It made my day!
4. Thank you for the happy birthday wishes. I will be celebrating with my family tonight and will share that my boss is caring and thoughtful. The cake during the meeting was perfect. Having a cat on it was a nice touch! Cats are the best!
5. Thanks for the birthday wishes! With such a great team, coming to work on my birthday was enjoyable, just like most days in the office. I was able to smile all day long with so many people wishing me a happy birthday. A little birdie told me that you spread the work. I appreciate that you helped make my day special!
Thank You for the Birthday Card Messages
Tip: Remember if you were given a birthday gift (other than the card), you should say thanks for the gift as well.
1. Thank you for sending me a birthday card. I enjoyed hearing from you, and the card was beautiful as well.
2. Thank you for my birthday card. You were thoughtful to remember me. I appreciate that you send me a card every year and look forward to receiving it. I noticed that you chose a cat-themed card which was perfect for me.
3. I was very surprised to receive a birthday card from you! Thank you very much for recognizing that I made another trip around the sun. The dogs on the front of the card were cute.
4. Receiving a birthday card from you help make my birthday feel special. You are a great friend, and I loved the note you included about our friendship. I love that we are friends too. Also, the “over the hill” card was hilarious. I am grateful that we met all those years ago.
5. Thank you for the birthday card! (While this simple message is short, you could send it as a text message to a friend or family member that you are in close contact).
6. Sending me a birthday card was very nice of you. Thank you for thinking of me. The message in the card was fun, just like you! I had a good chuckle reading it.