Should you send a thank you note for a card? Maybe.
Receiving a card usually does not require a thank you note in return. Instead, you can acknowledge the card with a thank you message in person, a phone call, an email, or a text message.
However, you can always mail a thank you note for the card if you want to!
When To Send a Thank You for a Card
Here are some situations where you may want to mail a handwritten thank you card after receiving a card to express your gratitude and appreciation.
- Build the Relationship. Were you surprised that you received the card from this particular person? Perhaps it is a new friend or business contact. Send a card to keep the relationship going.
- Networking. Did someone send you a congratulations card when you started a new job? A follow-up thank-you note could be used as a networking opportunity.
- Money gift. If there was money or a gift card with the card, you DO need to send a thank-you note. I’ve written a guide on writing a thank you note for money with examples that can help you get started. Or you can review Thank You For The Gift Card Messages.
- Wedding Card. If someone gave you a wedding card but not a gift, you could acknowledge the card with a note.
- Sympathy Card. When someone expresses their care and concern for you after losing a loved one or a pet, you may want to say thank you for the sympathy card.
- Because you want to! If you like sending cards or just because you want to, you can send a thank you card for the card. But do not expect a thank you for your thank you note (that could turn into a never-ending cycle!).
Messages to Thank Someone for A Card
To thank someone for a card, you can send them a quick thank you message. The message could be sent via text, email, phone, or spoken to them when you see them in person.
Acknowledging the card is the best way to thank someone for a card. The person spent time choosing a card, mailing the card, and perhaps writing you a personal message.
The way to say thank you for the card is similar for most types of cards (birthday, Christmas, sympathy, etc. In your message, you could compliment the card, thank them for thinking of you, or respond to something they wrote in the card to you.
How To Thank Someone for a Birthday Card
Here are some examples of how to say thank you for a birthday card. You can say thank you in person or with a text message.
If the card especially touches you, you can write them a handwritten thank you note.
#1 Thank you for the birthday card! It was beautiful, and you were so kind to remember my birthday.
#2 I received your birthday card today. Thank you for mailing me a card. You’re the best [Mom, Sister, Brother, etc.]
#3 You’re a great friend. Thank you for remembering my birthday and sending me a card.
#4 Thanks for the birthday card. I had a great day celebrating my special day with you.
#5 Thank you for thinking of me on my birthday! The birthday card was funny and made me smile.
How To Thank Someone for a Greeting Card
There are many types of greeting cards, such as get-well cards and funny cards sent for fun. My personal preference is cards featuring cats. Here is some example wording for how to thank someone that gave you a greeting card.
f the card was for a specific occasion, such as Mother’s Day, you can include the occasion in your message. For example, “Thank you for the Mother’s Day card”.
#1 Thank you for sending me a card! I was amazed to get a card in the mail. It made my day!
#2 Thank you for the greeting card. You are kind to think of me. I loved the funny message on the inside.
#3 You were very thoughtful for sending me a greeting card. I also appreciated that you took the time to write me a note in it. The family has been good lately. We are looking forward to our summer vacation.
#4 Thank you for mailing me a card. I liked the cat art on the front and will have it on display for a while.
#5 I was surprised to get your thoughtful card in the mail. Thank you for being my friend! I feel loved and value our friendship.
#6 I want to thank you for sending me a card to cheer me up! It brightened my day.
#7 Thank you for the get-well card! The last few weeks have been rough, but I am finally feeling better. Again, I appreciate you thinking of me and praying for my recovery.
#8 Thank you for the thank you card. I was surprised to receive a handwritten note in the mail.
#9 The thank you card you sent me was awesome. The message you wrote in the card touched my heart.
#10 Thank you for the lovely Christmas card. We enjoyed reading your letter and are happy to hear that your family is doing well. Happy Holidays!
#11 Thank you for the Mother’s Day card. I also appreciate the lovely message you wrote. You’re a wonderful son/daughter.
Do you have a question regarding thank-you notes? You can submit it to Heidi here.