Should you send a thank you note for a card?
Receiving a card usually does not require a thank you note in return. What you can do instead is acknowledge the card with a thank you message in person, a phone call, email, or text message.
However, you can always mail a thank you note for the card if you want to to!
Here is what will be covered in this post:
- Situations for when you should send a thank you card to say thank you for the card
- Example thank you messages for a card
When to send a thank you for a card
Here are some situations where you may want to mail a handwritten thank you card after receiving a card to express your gratitude and appreciation.
- Build the Relationship. Were surprised that you received the card from this particular person? Perhaps it is a new friend or business contact. Send a card to keep the relationship going.
- Networking. Did someone send you congratulations note when you started a new job? A follow-up thank-you note could be used a networking opportunity.
- Money gift. If there was money or a gift card with the card you DO need to send a thank-you note.. I’ve written a guide on how to write a thank you note for money with some examples which can help you get started. Or you can review Thank You For The Gift Card Messages.
- Wedding Card. If someone gave you a wedding card but not a gift, you can acknowledge the card. with a not.
- Because you want to! If you like sending cards or just because you want to, you can send a thank you card for the card. But do not expect a thank you for your thank you note (that could turn into a never-ending cycle!).
Messages to Thank Someone for A Card
To thank someone for a card, you can send them a quick thank you message. The message could be sent via text message, email, on the phone, or spoken to them when you see them in person.
The best way to thank someone for a card is by acknowledging the card. The person spent time choosing a card, mailing the card, and perhaps writing you a personal message.
The way to say thank you for the card is similar for most types of cards (birthday, Christmas, sympathy, etc. In your message you could compliment the card, thank them for thinking of you, or respond to something they wrote in the card to you.
#1 Thank you for the birthday card! It was beautiful and you were so kind of you to remember my birthday.
#2 I received your birthday card today. Thank you for mailing me a card. You’re the best [Mom, Sister, Brother, etc.]
#3 You’re a great friend. Thank you for remembering my birthday and sending me a card.
#4 Thanks for the birthday card. I had a great day celebrating my special day with you.
#5 Thank you for the sympathy card. I appreciate you for thinking of me during this difficult time.
#6 I want to thank you for sending me a card to cheer me up! It brightened my day.
#7 Thank you for the get well card! The last few weeks have been rough, but I am finally feeling better. I really appreciate you for thinking of me and praying for my recovery.
#8 Thank you for the thank you card. I was surprised to received a handwritten note in the mail.
#9 The thank you card you sent me was awesome. The message you wrote in the card touched my heart.
#10 Thank you for the lovely Christmas card. We enjoyed reading your letter and are happy to hear that your family is doing well. Happy Holidays!