Being invited to a wedding, party, dinner, someone’s home, to do something fun, or another event can feel wonderful.
This post will help you with your response to the invitation and show your appreciation and gratitude.
The wording will vary if you plan to attend, not attend, or write your thank you message after attending the occasion.
You’ll want to respond promptly if the person that invited you needs to know in advance if you plan to attend or not before the event date.
The templates will help you get started and will work for most situations. With most thank you notes, the wording is the most challenging part, so some examples are provided following the templates.
There are more “thank you for inviting me” examples in these posts for specific occasions:
- Dinner or dinner party
- Thanksgiving dinner
- Wedding or wedding reception invite
- Party (general)
- Graduation Party
- Housewarming Party
- Birthday Party
- Christmas or Holiday Party
- Depending on what the invite was for, your response can be formal or casual. For causal, you may not need to state the date in your message.
- If responding before the event and attending, you can let them know specifically what you are looking forward to about it.
- The templates and examples are designed for a typical thank-you note of a few sentences. If you have a lot to say, you can write a longer letter.
- The examples that follow will be only the center section of the note.
- The opening, closing, and your name only need to be included when writing a handwritten note or an email. For a text message or instant message, you can send just the thank you message (the center section of the note). To learn more about the parts of thank you note, click here.
- Adjust [words in brackets] as needed.
Responding before the event and attending
Thank you for inviting me to [me/us] on [date]. [I/We] will there and [list any family or additional people that are going with you (if they were also invited)]. [I/We] look forward to seeing you soon.
Sincerely (or another closing),
Responding before the event and not attending
Thank you for inviting [me/us] to [event] on [date]. [I/We] will unfortunately not be able to attend.
[Depending on your relationship and the event, you may or may not want to add a sentence that explains why you are not attending].
Sincerely (or another closing),
Thank you for inviting [me/us] to [event]. [I/We] had a wonderful time! We enjoyed [whatever you enjoyed at the event]. [Maybe another sentence with a compliment].
Thanks again (or another closing),
Note: If you are thanking someone for having you over to their house, read this post.
Thank you for inviting me examples
Note: If you did fun things other than seeing a movie with your friend, you could substitute the movie with that event in most of these examples.
- Thanks for inviting me to go to the movie with you last weekend. I enjoyed spending time with you and discussing the movie afterward. It’s nice to spend time with someone who enjoys the same kind of movies as me. I had fun.
- Thank you for inviting me to see a movie with you. Unfortunately, I can’t go this Friday. Could we try for next Friday?
- The movie was great last weekend! [Say something about the movie]. I had fun going with you and having dinner afterward. Thanks so much for inviting me.
- I am very excited that you invited me to see a movie with you on Saturday. You are a good friend, and I look forward to spending the evening together.
- Thank you for inviting me to see [Movie Name]. No one in my family wants to see it, so I’m glad you do. I will plan to meet you in the parking lot 30 minutes before it starts.
Invited – attending
Note: The examples in this section are for when you’ve received an invitation and are responding before the date of the event.
- Thanks for the invitation to your [event] at [venue]. I will be pleased to attend and will see you there. My husband will not be able to come.
- I received the invitation for the play date at the park on Saturday, May 18. I am happy to say that we will be there. The kids are looking forward to playing with your kids and any others that will be joining. Thank you for including us!
- We will be able to attend church with you this Sunday. Thank you for inviting us. I am interested in learning more about the culture and beliefs of your church. We will meet you in the parking lot at 8:45.
- Thank you again for inviting me to the convention. I am excited to go with someone that also likes [convention topic]. I will meet you at your house on Friday at 6 AM so that we can drive together.
- Thank you for inviting me to the tradeshow. I am looking forward to seeing what each company has to offer. I will meet you and the rest of the guys in the lobby around 7 AM.
Invited – but need to decline
Note: The examples in this section are when you respond before the invite date to let the host know that you can’t make it.
- Unfortunately, I will not be able to go to the cooking class with you on June 2oth. The menu looks great, and I would enjoy learning those recipes, but I cannot take that day off of work. Thank you for inviting me, and I hope it works out another time for me to join you.
- Thank you for inviting us to visit you on your birthday. However, we will not be able to come that day as we are watching Violet, our daughter’s baby, that weekend. She will stay the night with us! I hope you have a great birthday and will stop by sometime soon.
- Thanks for inviting us to church with you this Sunday. Your kindness is appreciated. We can’t make it in person this week but will look for the replay on YouTube so that we can discuss the sermon with you. Can you meet for dinner on Wednesday?
- We will not be able to attend [kid’s name] soccer game, but thanks for inviting us! We enjoy watching him plan when we are in town. But that morning, we have already committed to having brunch what my son and his family.
- Thanks for inviting us to go camping with you. We love the outdoors, and your hospitality was fantastic. However, we have other plans for that weekend. Maybe we will be able to go later in the summer.
Invited – already attended
Note: This section is for writing the thank you message after attending whatever you were invited to.
- Thank you for inviting us to your house. Getting all of our friends together for a game night was very fun. And [game] is so much fun with a large group. I hadn’t seen [person’s name] in over a year and was happy to catch up with them. The charcuterie board was awesome and looked beautiful.
- Your cooking is a delight. Thanks for inviting me over for and making homemade [what they made]. It was the best! It’s my pleasure to try out your new recipes, and I enjoy your hospitality.
- Thank you so much for inviting me to have coffee with you. I enjoyed visiting and was happy to catch up and hear about your family. The coffee at [Place] was much better than I expected.
- Thank you for inviting me to go camping with you. Sleeping in the woods is an experience I will not soon forget. Everything was so peaceful and quiet. And everyone at the campsite was helped me out whenever I asked. The food made over the campfire tasted so good. I want to go with you again sometime.
- I want to thank you for inviting me to the art class with you from the bottom of my heart. I had no idea that I would love painting! Painting is my new favorite hobby. I will host you at my house sometime so we can paint together and visit.