When you or a family member has been sick, hospitalized, or had surgery, meals or flowers may arrive. These meals or flowers may be from your church, other family members, or friends.
Some people may provide meals and flowers, so I’ve included thank-you note examples for both meals and flowers in this post.
Writing a thank-you note is a polite way to show your gratitude for the meals and/or flowers.
If you need help with the structure of a thank-you note, please check out the cheat sheet.
Use the Quick Navigation to jump to the section you are interested in.
Receiving meals or meals thoughts and organization tips
- Preparing and delivering meals takes time and are not free. Even if you receive pizza or a take out meal this still took time, energy, and money.
- If you received other gifts or support while incapacitated, say thank you for those gifts and support too. You can do that by including another line or two in your note.
- Bringing someone food or flowers is a way of showing love. Someone one cared enough to bring you food or flowers. The time needed to write the thank you note will be much less than it took for the meal to be prepared and delivered. Or for them to pick out flowers.
- Hopefully, the food that was provided was yummy. This will make it easier too. If you hated the food that is unfortunate. In the latter situation, remember the thought and care behind the food that is more important than the actual food. The goal is to be thankful for their efforts.
- If you didn’t like the type of flowers, you can still say thank you for them. You are thanking them for the gesture.
- If you feel well enough to eat, you should also be able to keep a list of who brought you food or flowers. If the person visited with you for a bit when they dropped off the food or flowers record that too. In addition to the meal, you can thank them for visiting.
- What if you are not with it enough to eat? If they are other household members they can keep track of the list. The food may actually be intended for them anyway. This happens when you are the one that usually prepares meals and are unable to cook while recovering from surgery or other illness.
- Depending on your ailment, you may also want to write a thank you note each day. This will keep them from adding up and you will not have to write many at the same time. If you are capable of reading while recovering you should also have the mental capacity to write a thank-you note. Unless of course, your writing hand was the reason for the surgery!
- Another person in the home could also write the thank-you notes. Especially when you are having days where you can’t eat much or are too out of it to eat. If the wife is the one recovering the husband can write the thank you notes as he and perhaps children too are likely the main beneficiary of the food.
Remember to plan ahead. If you know you are going to be out of action for a bit and food will be delivered purchase thank you note cards before being incapacitated. Ordering cards on Amazon when doing other shopping makes it easy to have the cards when you need them.
Thank you for the meals wording examples
The note from husband when the wife is recovering:
We greatly appreciate the meal you brought us when Ted had knee surgery. Those first few days were a little rough and I was happy to not need to worry about making meals. The mac and cheese you brought was comforting too!
The note from the wife when the husband is recovering could be as simple as this:
Thank you for making the wonderful chicken casserole for us. It is a blessing to not have to think about preparing meals while Heidi is recovering. The kids and I enjoyed the meal! Heidi also appreciated you visiting with her when you delivered the meal.
Note to be written by the recovering individual:
Dear [group leader name],
I heard you organized all the food for my family when I was sick. I hope I never have pneumonia again! You are wonderful for taking the lead and making sure my family had meals every day.
Dear [friend’s name],
I am grateful for the time you spent with me when dropping off [insert dish name] after my surgery. I am not used to being alone so much. Visiting with you made my day. I am happy to report that I will be back on my feet soon! I’ll take you to lunch then.
More meal examples
Thank you for the homemade meals! [Name] is still recovering and unable to stand long enough to cook. We didn’t realize how much she did until [Medical Procedure] put her out of action. We enjoyed your [Dish]. [Name] was not able to have any of it as she was still on liquids only then. She is doing better now and would like the recipe as she thought the [Dish] looked great and the kids loved it.
Thank you for the extra time you took to make sure my kids did not go hungry. I was worried about them when I woke up from the fever. It turns out they were just fine!
The [Dish] was wonderful! I will request to have you on the meal making list if I ever need another surgery. It tasted so good. Much better than anything from the restaurant. Thank you for taking the time to make it and bring it over.
Thank you for making meals for my family with short notice. The emergency [Medical Procedure] that [Name] had was very overwhelming for me. I am grateful that my kids were able to have nutritious meals to eat. They are still raving about the chicken and gravy!
I felt deeply touched that you remembered that breakfast is my favorite type of meal. The egg and hash brown casserole that you provided after my stay at the hospital was fantastic. And, the Pyrex dish was beautiful. I promise to return it soon!
Thank you notes for get well flowers examples
Thank you for the flowers after my recent surgery. Knowing that you were thinking of me made me feel loved. The flowers are still going strong!
The flowers you sent are lovely. They brightened up the hospital room. Thank you for remembering me.
I was happy that you visited me after surgery. I am told the pain will lessen over time. The flowers you brought with you are lovely. Thank you for sending such a beautiful arrangement.
I am glad you came to see me after my appendix was removed. The food and flowers were both great. Thank you for being so thoughtful. Your time and effort are appreciated.
Thank you for the flowers! Seeing them every day following surgery made me feel happy. I am glad we are friends! The purple carnations are stunning.
You are a wonderful friend to think of me after surgery. The flowers helped to cheer me up! I will be back on my feet soon and will visit you. Thank you again for the flowers.
The flowers you sent have helped me remember how many wonderful friends I have. The arrangement was spectacular. I am enjoying them every day while homebound. The casserole was great too!
What a great neighbor you are! You have been very considerate after my surgery. The roses from your yard are lovely. Thank you for the flowers and the help with household chores during my recovering.
I am thankful for you! The flowers, visits, and meals are all greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to make me feel loved and helping with the food. The boys loved the chicken wings!
Thank you for the lovely flowers. I thought of you when looking at them while stuck on the couch. They are great! And thank you for getting a variety that are not poisonous to my cats. They haven’t tried to eat them, but I’d rather be safe than sorry!
Meal and Flower combination note
- Tip: Examples from the above sections can also be combined to create a meal and flowers thank-you note.
I enjoyed the gorgeous that you sent while I was sick. The pizza was also appreciated by the family. Pizza is a treat for them. Thank you for showing your love for my family while I was sick.
Thank you for providing the lasagna casserole after I had surgery. The daisies also looked wonderful on the counter and helped to cheer me up. Thanks for remembering me.
Thank you for the bouquet of flowers while I was in the hospital. The purple and yellow tulips were beautiful together. Ted and the kids also appreciated the spaghetti dinner you provided for them. We will see you at church next week!
I am thankful for the flowers and food while I was recovering from surgery. The flowers were beautiful to look at when all I could do was lay on the couch. I was touched that you remember pizza rolls are my favorite recovery food! I ate them all on the same day.
What a blessing you were to my family last week! The kids liked every meal that you provided and that you visited with them. They told me all the stories that you shared with them when I came home from the hospital. The flowers are also on display now in our kitchen. The spring arrangement was beautiful.
When you don’t remember who brought which food
Thank you for bringing me food while I was recovering from surgery. It was good and I was thankful that I didn’t have to worry about what the family was going to eat when I was unable to cook.
You are a wonderful cook! The meal you brought over was delicious. Also, thank you for visiting with me when you dropped it off.