Thanking your boss for a gift is a thoughtful and polite way to show your gratitude.
There are many occasions when a boss may give you a gift such as for your birthday, new baby, wedding, Christmas or another holiday, welcoming you to the team, work anniversary, or to recognize you in some way, etc.
Note: not all bosses are gift-givers so don’t feel bad if you came across this post and your boss has never given you a gift.
I have not received any gifts recently from a boss. My current boss gave me a kitty teapot since I like cats when I joined his team (There is a picture of it in the examples below). It resides on my desk at the office. Technically, it was a re-gift as he had given it to another co-worker who didn’t want it anymore. A prior boss would bring Mi-Cho-Ko candies when he traveled to Paris.
In some of the examples below, I used gifts that my friends have received from their bosses for inspiration. But first, here are some tips:
#5 Tips when thanking your boss for a gift.
Tip #1: To make your note better be specific in your note. By this I mean, in the note say what you are thanking the boss for.
Tip #2: If the gift was personalized, such as a mug, pen, stationery, etc. be sure to mention the personalization.
Tip #3: Your note can include a compliment of your boss, if you want to, and don’t go over the top. And don’t say it if you don’t mean it. So don’t say “you’re a great boss” if you don’t mean it. No lying to impress.
Tip #4: The tone of the note can be funny if your boss appreciates the humor.
Tip #5: Now, for money, it will depend on why the boss gave it too. Usually, when thanking the money giver, I recommend sharing what you did or plan to do with the money. But that will depend on the relationship you have with your boss.
If your boss is also a friend, you may want to share what you do with the money. But if not or you don’t want to, it’s okay not to share the details of how the cash was used with the boss. You can read about thanking your boss for cash in the money examples post.
If you want to print a thank you card to write a handwritten note, there are several here for bosses.
Your boss is a person like you but with a different job title. Thank him or her just like anyone else. Hopefully, your boss is not an intimidating person.
Thank you note to your boss for a gift template
The examples following the template are in sections based on the occasions. The table of contents can be used to jump to specific occasions.
Replace words in [brackets] as needed. For more help with the full layout of a thank-you note see this cheat sheet or read over these 5 easy steps The examples will include only the center section of the note.
Dear Boss’s Name
Thank you for the [the gift] for [occasion]. The [item] is [compliment the gift or why you like it/find it useful]. Add another sentence or two with a team or boss compliment (Optional).
Thanks again (or another closing),
Thank your boss for recognition or award gifts
- Thank you for recognizing my 5 year work anniversary with a gift to [restaurant name]. Having dinner there was a treat for my family. The kids loved the fancy steaks too.
- I was amazed by the monogrammed pen that you gave me along with the employee of the month award. Writing with it is a delight. You are generous and thoughtful.
- You’re a great boss! I am so excited about the FitBit you gave me for my 10th anniversary. I’ve already used to track 10,000 steps and can see that I walked more than you last week! Thank you for this fun gift.
- The $500 gift card to Amazon for the employee of the month award is awesome! Thank you! I look forward to spending it very soon on some stuff for me and some things for my cats. Thank you for nominating me for the award.
- The framed 20-year anniversary certificate was thoughtful. It looks nice on the wall in my office. I also appreciate the gift card to [your favorite store] and to [your favorite restaurant]. I will enjoy treating myself! Thank you!
Thank your boss for birthday gifts
Note: examples to thank your boss for the birthday wishes, can be read in the list of birthday wishes examples.
- Thank you for the scratch-off lottery tickets! They were fun for my birthday. I didn’t win big, so I’ll still be coming to work!
- I am excited to get a massage soon. Thank you for giving me a gift certificate to [name of massage place] for my birthday. I am looking forward to relaxing during it. What a thoughtful gift!
- Thank you for the personalized mug for my birthday! Having a picture of my cats on the mug is neat. I was surprised! I love it.
- I appreciate the gift card to [favorite store] very much. As you know, I love shopping there and will redeem it very soon. Thank you for remembering my birthday.
- Working on your team is fun! You are very kind to remember everyone’s birthday and get us each a gift. Thank you for the box of candy this year!
Thank your boss for welcoming you to the team with a gift
Thank you for the kitty teapot when I joined your team. The eyes are kind of creepy and remind me of a doll. I washed it in the dishwasher, and now it stinks, so I will not be bringing it to the team meetings with tea in it. The white elephant re-gift story behind it is priceless. And, it’s become a conversation piece on my desk. Thank you for thinking of me when Adam decided he no longer wanted the kitty teapot. It does bring a bit of enjoyment to my day when I work at the office.
- The personalized stationery is excellent. Thank you for welcoming me to the team. I look forward to handwriting notes to new and current clients. I bet they will be surprised to get a note in the mail.
- I was astonished to find the pen with my name on it on my desk when I started. [Teammate name] let me know that you do this for all new people. Thank you for welcoming me to the team.
- Thank for the team lunch on my first day! It helped me to meet people on the team. I look forward to working with you and everyone else.
- The fruit basket on my desk when I arrived on my first day was thoughtful. I can see you remembered from my interview that I love fresh fruit. You are off to a great start as my boss!
- Thank you for the warm welcome to your team. I appreciated the beautiful card and box of my favorite candy which I bet [Name of the former boss] told you about my preferences. It made my day and the transition to your team a bit easier!
Thank your boss for Christmas and other holiday gifts
Note: substitute Christmas as needed for your note. ex. Easter, Hanukkah, Thanksgiving
- As you know, I love writing notes to people. Thank you for the Christmas gift of personalized stationery. It’s beautiful, and I look forward to using it to write many thank-you notes.
- The gift card to [favorite restaurant] for Christmas was wonderful. [Spouse name] and I enjoyed an amazing dinner on New Year’s Eve. It was so nice to have a night out on you.
- Thank you for the Christmas fruit basket. I am so happy that you remembered that I prefer fruit to candy. I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation in Disneyland. See you next year at the office!
- The free day off before the holiday was very generous of you. My family appreciated that we could leave for our trip a day early which helped us avoid some traffic. We had a fantastic week with my parents. Thank you for being a great boss!
Thank your boss for wedding gifts
- Thank you for coming to my wedding! I enjoyed meeting your [wife/husband/partner]. The flannel sheets are soft, and we look forward to using them this winter.
- Ted and I are sorry that you were not able to make it to our wedding. Thank you for sending us a check in the mail. We are saving it towards a down payment on the house we plan to purchase. I will show you pictures when I am back in the office.
- Thank you for sharing our wedding day with us. Also, thank you for your generous gift to [store name]. We haven’t used it just yet, but it will be beneficial once we settle into the new apartment.
- We appreciate your wedding gift! The amount you give to us was very generous. [Spouse name] was so excited to meet you at the reception as I’ve been telling him how great of a boss you are.
- The gift card to the pet store was an amusing and unexpected wedding gift! Thank you for sending it to us. We had fun getting a new cat tower and toys for the cats.
Thank your boss for baby gifts
Related: Thank you notes after baby examples
- Thank you for the cute baby clothes for [baby’s name]. It was nice of you to think of me while I am on maternity leave. [Baby’s name] is growing so fast. See you in a few weeks when I return to work.
- My wife and I love the baby swing and [baby’s name] likes it too. It helps him fall asleep. Thank you for the gift.
- We appreciate all of the baby supplies form you and your wife! The card was touching too. We are becoming pros at changing diapers. And thank you for giving me two weeks off from work. That was very generous of you.
- Thank you for the baby blankets. They are very soft and comforting. The onesies with cat pictures are cute too. You are a great boss too!
- The gift card to [store name] was great! Thank you for the generous amount. We used it for diapers and formula. I look forward to sharing new baby stories with you when I return to the office.
Thank your boss for flowers
Related: Thank you note for flowers template
- Thank you for the beautiful flowers. They brighten up my cube. It was so nice of you to think of me while I was having a rough time of it recently.
- The vase full of [your favorite flower] made my day! They were a nice surprise for my birthday, especially since I decided not to take the day off. They will look great on my desk for weeks!
- I appreciate the fantastic flowers for winning the big contract! They smell great and will be a reminder of success! Thank you for recognizing my efforts.
- Thank you for the purple roses. It’s fun to have them on my desk when people come in as purple is an unusual color for roses. They were a conversation piece when people are waiting for appointments. Thanks again!
- The flowers for when my sister-in-law passed away were lovely. I appreciate that you thought of my family and me while I was out. You are a thoughtful, kind, and generous boss. Also, thank you for the extra bereavement day.
Thank your boss for a gift brought back from vacation
- I love the shirt from [vacation location] that you got for me while you were on vacation. Thank you for thinking of me. I enjoy working for you.
- The fudge from Mackinaw Island is the best! Thank you for bringing me some back from your recent trip. I will savor every bite!
- Thank you for the candy from your recent trip. It was a sweet treat. Thank you for thinking of me while you were away!
- The mug from [vacation location] looks great on my desk! The sunset is beautiful. I hope to visit a beach like that one someday. Thank you!
- The sweatshirt from Hawaii is so warm and cozy. I love it! I will wear it in the office when I feel cold. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.