When you retiree, you may receive retirement gifts or a party. Your coworkers may have a party for you or your family and friends (or both!).
When my dad retired, my siblings and I gave him a personalized clock. I don’t remember what we gave our mom, but we had a surprise retirement party with all of her kids and grandkids attending.
This post will help you write retirement thank-you notes for any gifts or a party to express your gratitude. You can read this post, to see more retirement messages from the retiring person.
For gift cards, you may also want to review the thank you for the gift card examples.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you use the link and then make a purchase, I will receive a commission.
Tips for Retirement Thank You Notes
- If you know in advance that you will be having a large retirement party, you’ll want to keep track of any gifts as you open them (or have someone else make a list). Even if you (or the organizer) say “no gifts,” it is likely that you still get some. Making a list will make it much easier when you write thank you notes later. You can do this by making a list of the giver’s name and the gift. If you don’t want to make your own, you can get a PDF gift list tracker here.
- I suggest handwritten thank you notes for any gifts or the party host(s). Minted, Redbubble, or Amazon are great choices for purchasing cards online.
- However, if want to thank multiple coworkers at the same time, you may want to send them a group email.
- When sending thank you emails, you can use a free tool like Grammarly to make sure your grammar is perfect and the commas are in the right places.
- If you have more than 10 notes to write after the retirement party, you can read through the tips here.
- Remember, it’s best to be specific whenever possible. For example, if you get more than one retirement mug, your note will be better if you mention the mug in your note instead of saying amazing gift. People like to be recognized and feel that their gift to you was meaningful or special. If you only say nice gift, they may wonder if you know what you gave them.
- However, if you do not know who gave you each gift, you can use generic thank you note wording (wonderful gift, beautiful gift, etc). The important thing is to express your gratitude for the retirement gifts or party.
You can see a template with the layout of a thank you note here. The sample messages below are for the center part of a thank-you note. If you are handwriting your note or sending an email, you will still want to include the opening (Dear Violet), the closing (Sincerely), and end with signing your name.
In the examples below, replace words in [brackets] in a way that makes sense for your situation. Having not retired yet, I browsed retirement gifts on Amazon and other sites for ideas to use in the sample notes.
Retirement Gift Thank You Messages
Note 1: If you received the gift at your retirement party, you could also thank the person for coming to the party.
Note 2: The examples for friends and family could also be used for coworkers, adding a sentence about working with them.
From Friends or Family
- Thank you for the [picture frame] for my retirement. The “Every day is Saturday” saying on it is great. The picture you choose of me with my [wife/husband/partner] is perfect. We are looking forward to lots of relaxing together now that we are both retired.
- I love the monogrammed travel bag. Thank you so much for the retirement gift! The bag is the perfect size for taking short trips where I do not need to carry much. Also, I appreciate that you remembered that [purple] is my favorite color.
- You are a wonderful, thoughtful friend! Thank you for the gift certificates to the movie theater for my retirement. I am impressed that you remembered my love of going to the movies. I plan to see new movies as often as possible during the day when the theater is less crowded. When you have a day off, let me know if you want to come along.
- Thank you for the BBQ apron for my retirement gift. It will be put to good use as I try out grilling techniques this summer. I am looking forward to long days sitting in the shade, smelling the grill, and reading books.
- The Scriveiner pen you gifted me when I retired is fantastic. I am using it now to write this thank you. I love how it writes!
- You know me well! The box of truffles for my retirement is delicious. I’m enjoying two truffles a day to make them last as long as possible.
From a boss or coworker
Note 1: When thanking a boss or coworker, you may want to add a sentence or two about working with them.
Note 2: These examples could be adjusted to work for friends or family by removing the reference about working together.
- Thank you for the gift card to [restaurant name] for my retirement, which is my favorite. Also, I have enjoyed sitting next to you for the last few years. I will miss visiting with you in the mornings, but not enough to not retire! So, let’s plan to get together for lunch in a few weeks to keep in touch.
- I appreciate you and how well we’ve worked together over the years. Thanks for the funny retirement mug. I will think of you when I use it. Please feel free to reach me at [email address or phone number] if you ever want to get together.
- Thank you for the great retirement gift. I will enjoy eating at [restaurant name] several times with it. You are a great coworker and friend for remembering how much I like to eat there. I’m glad we were able to sit next to each other for all those years.
- You’ve been a great boss! Thank you for recognizing my retirement with the fancy pen. It’s a nice gift that I will be able to use for many years. I will be sure to write you a note occasionally!
- The flower box for my retirement was perfect! I love the saying on it [you can put what the saying was in your note]. And I love that I will be able to reuse the box again with fresh flowers. The color of the vases matches my kitchen too. Also, thank you for being a wonderful coworker for so many years. I will miss you.
- Thank you for the travel journal. I look forward to using it as I travel the country once I’m officially retired. My first trip will be to the Grand Canyon. It turns out you were listening to all those times I told you about my dream to travel and see every state. Thanks for being not only my coworker but my friend.
- Thank you for the beautiful watch for my retirement. It’s a lovely gift and I feel appreciated by the company after twenty years of service. I will miss working with the team, but as I enter my new phase of life, I am looking forward to spending more time fishing and reading books.
Retirement Party Thank You Messages
Note 1: The party may be hosted by coworkers or friends and family. I’ve included some examples for both situations.
Note 2: If you received a gift at the party, be sure to say thanks for the gift too. The thank you for the party will most likely be sent to the host or group of people that organized it. In which case, you can send separate notes for the gift (using the examples above).
Note 2: You may also want to thank someone for coming to your retirement party. There are examples below for thanking the host and also the attendees.
To The Host
- Thank you for hosting a retirement party for me. I was shocked. The cake from Costco was delicious. Also, I am grateful that I had a chance to say goodbye to everyone on the team.
- The party was the perfect send-off for my last day in the office. Retirement is finally here for me! Thank you for recognizing my years with the company and having a huge cake for everyone.
- Thank you for the retirement party. I enjoyed seeing everyone as I close the working chapter of my life. I appreciate whoever made the effort to have the cake decorated with [purple] frosting and [fluffy cats]. I think the whole team knows that purple and cats are some of my favorite things. The team has been great over the years, and I have great memories of working together.
- The retirement party was super fun! It seemed like everyone enjoyed the outdoor games. And of course, you know corn hole is my all-time favorite yard game. The homemade food was great, too, especially the cherry cheesecake. Thank you so much for organizing the party. It was a great way to kick of my retirement.
- I am so happy to be retired, and the party with the family was a delight. I loved celebrating with all my kids and grandkids. Now, I will have more time to spend with everyone. The food everyone brought was great too. And thank you for the new Hawaiian-style shirt. I can wear the comfy shirts every day now! Your Mom and I will stop by next week to return the dish that had the brownies in it.
- I was surprised by the retirement party last weekend! Thank you for recognizing the years of my working life. I am so happy to be retired and have ample free time now. You and your siblings did a lot of work to keep the party a surprise. I appreciate that you invited my friends and coworkers to join in the fun with our family. I had a wonderful day visiting with everyone. And of course, the food was great too. The spinach dip your sister made was the best ever.
- Thank you for the retirement party. Holding it at the church was a great idea too and I value the hard work you put into organizing it. I love the silver picture frame from you as well. Thank you for celebrating my retirement day with me.
- You all are the best colleagues. Thank you all for the retirement party and retirement wishes on my last day. The cake was very good. I had so much fun hanging out with everyone one last time.
Flowers & Greens Holiday Thank You Cards
Thanks for coming to my retirement party
Note: You can send a group email to those that attended your office retirement party.
- Thank you for coming to my retirement party! It was a memorable occasion and I’m glad you were part of it. You are a dear friend and I hope we can spend more time together soon.
- I was surprised by the office retirement party for me. I felt highly appreciated by you and the others that attended. It was a wonderful party and helped me to feel special on the way out. I have so much gratitude for the team.
- As I move on to a new chapter in my life, I have so much appreciation for the team and the company. The team has my heartfelt thanks for the party last week for my retirement. It was a memorable party as I end my career with [Company Name]. Thank you all for coming and let’s not forget to stay in touch.
- My life is about to change as I officially retire. As we have become good friends while working together, I want to thank you for attending the party. I have wonderful memories of solving problems together. I hope we will see each other in the future.