Have you ever been in a situation where you needed to borrow someone’s car or truck? Was it for the day or weeks?
When you borrow someone’s car they are likely being inconvenienced (unless they have an extra car!) When I lived with my parents, my parents would let me drive their car to work when my car needed maintenance or other repair work. I am grateful that they helped me.
Note: if you borrowed something other than a vehicle, check out the examples in the thank you for letting me borrow post.
The Best Way to Thank Someone for Letting you Borrow Their Car:
Doing all of the three steps below, is the best way to thank the person you borrowed a car from.
- Say Thank You. Write a thank-you note (examples below),
- Fill The Tank. Return it with a full tank of gas, even if the tank was empty. This is polite and will show your appreciation.
- Clean the Car. The vehicle should be clean, inside, and out. This may mean returning it in better condition than when you received it.
You could also include a small thank you gift or gift card. This could be to a restaurant, Amazon, or a store you know the person you borrowed it from likes.
Borrowed Car Thank You Message Template:
Dear [Person’s Name],
Thanks for letting me borrow your [car/truck]. [Driving your car meant that I could get to work!] I appreciate that you trusted me with your vehicle. It’s so much newer than my car and was a joy to drive!
Notes: Replace [words in brackets]. The second sentence should be replaced with why you needed to borrow the car or truck.
- Share the benefits. In your note, share how you benefited from being able to borrow the car or truck
- Be Prompt. Write your thank-you note promptly. Either hand deliver it when returning the vehicle, leave it in the vehicle (as a surprise), or mail it within a day or two.
Sample Thank You Notes for various car or truck borrowing situations:
Thank you for letting me borrow your car. I was able to make it to the office and avoid taking sick time while my car was being repaired. Your generosity is appreciated. I realize it was an inconvenience for you to be without your car while I was driving it.
I want to thank you for allowing me to drive your extra car for a few weeks. Having your vehicle allowed me to get to school without missing any classes. I will be looking for a used new car now that school is out.
I sure was in a bind when I got into that fender bender! Thank you so much for letting me borrow your car while mine was straightened out. I am thankful for your kindness and friendship.
Click on Image to view the cards on Amazon. This is my Amazon Affiliate link.
Thank You for Lending Me Your Car Messages
Note: The examples below include are only the center section of the note. Your thank you note should include a greeting and closing.
1. Thank you for lending me your truck for the day! I was able to get all the brush and other yard waste dropped off at the city compost site. Your vehicle made the task so much easier and more efficient. I only had to make one trip! If you ever need to borrow my tiny car, let me know!
2. I am grateful that you let me borrow your truck. It made hauling the mattress home a breeze, and I was able not to pay a delivery fee. There are many benefits to owning a truck, but since I do not need a truck often, I was glad you were willing to loan yours to me.
3. Your minivan was perfect for our trip! I am grateful to you for letting my family take it on our vacation. We had plenty of room for all of our luggage. Also, the kids and space to spread out in the back. Your kindness is appreciated.
4. Thank you for letting me borrow your car. I was surprised when I learned that my car needed to be in the shop for a week. With having to drive my parents around, not having a car is a considerable inconvenience. I will always remember your generosity! Not everyone will let others borrow a vehicle.
5. You are a wonderful friend to let me borrow your car on short notice! I was able to make the trip to [city name] and pick up [item]. Your car’s trunk was just big enough to hold it. I am thankful that you helped me out, and I didn’t have to rent an expensive truck.
6. Thank you for loaning me your truck! I love your truck and all it can do. It made moving day go much smoother and reduced the number of trips to the new house.
7. I enjoyed the last few months driving your extra car around. Thank you for being generous with it. I picked up my new car last week! Your car helped me get through and saved me the rental costs since my car insurance policy didn’t cover it after the accident.