Thanking your boss for your promotion will show your gratitude and appreciation. This post will help you write a thank-you note to thank your boss for promoting you.
What you say in your note may depend on what is involved in your promotion. Here are a few questions to consider to help you decide what to include in your note:
- Is it a new position created just for you?
- Will you now be a manager?
- Same position, but taking on more responsibility, such as a senior position?
- Is it because you learned a new skill that will benefit your team or another department?
- Did your boss or manager recommend you for the promotion?
Answers to these questions may help determine if you want to thank your boss for something specific other than just the promotion.
The last time I was promoted, I was promoted to the senior level position of my role. My boss recognized my abilities and additional responsibilities with a change in title and a raise.
Thank you note tips:
- Most promotions include a raise. You may want to thank your boss for the raise too. There are “thank your boss for the raise” examples in the post here that may help you with your note wording. There are also some examples included below. The primary reason for the note is thanking for the promotion so adding “Thank you for the raise” is sufficient. Or you may not want to mention the raise at all.
- A short note that only says “Thank you for the promotion” may be enough if you don’t like your boss or don’t have anything else you want to say. Only saying “Thank you for the promotion” is better than not expressing your gratitude.
- The difference between a note and a letter is the length. If you write more than one paragraph, that will make it feel more like a letter. Either is okay and how much you write will depend on your situation. A letter can include details of how the boss helped make the promotion possible, such as mentoring.
- I encourage you to read through all of the examples. You may want to take wording inspiration from more than one of the samples for your note.
- As when thanking your boss for raise, I don’t recommend mentioning any actual dollar amounts or percentages of your raise as you don’t know who else may see your note (even if sent via email). This will help keep your raise amount confidential if other teammates happen to look at your note. Of course, if you work at a university or other workplace, where all salary amounts are publicly available, this is less of a concern.
Below are some examples of wording you could use in your note. Words in [brackets] should be filled in as appropriate for your situation.
The examples notes are the center section of the note. Look at this cheat sheet to see the complete layout of a thank-you note.
Thank you for the promotion note examples
#1 Thank you for the promotion! I am excited and look forward to adding more value to the team in my new position.
#2 Thank you for the promotion. I appreciate that my effort in learning the [new skill] is being recognized. The team is already sending me requests to use [new skill].
#3 I am excited about my promotion! Thank you for recognizing my accomplishments in the past year by promoting me to senior [position name]. I look forward to the continued success of our team.
#4 Thank you for promoting me to [position]. I am excited to start the position next week. I appreciate you for trusting me with this opportunity.
#5 I want to take a few minutes to thank you for promoting me. I appreciate the opportunity. And I look forward to continuing to grow under your leadership.
#6 What a great day! Thank you for promoting me to [position]. I will do my best to excel in this position. I am grateful for the opportunity.
#7 I am grateful for the promotion. Your input during the last few years has been valuable in helping with my career progression. Thank you for investing in me. I will make you proud as the new [position name].
#9 Thank you for promoting me to Senior [job title]! I look forward to being able to share my knowledge with others in an official capacity. Your guidance and advice have been very helpful over the years.
#10 Thank you for recommending that I apply for an open position on the team. I am very thankful that I am being promoted into the role. All that time applying your advice to learn [program name] paid off. You’re the best boss I’ve ever had.
#11 I am looking forward to working as a [job title]. Thank you for promoting me. I will be just as dedicated to the new position and look forward to learning even more about [program or project].
#12 The career advancement here at [company name] has been wonderful for me. I am thankful that once I put my skills to use that my value was recognized and am thrilled that I’m being moved up to the next level. I look forward to taking more online classes to further my skills as I continue to support the team.
#13 my recent promotion to [job title]. Thank you for recommending me to [person’s name on the new/team department]. Since she hasn’t worked directly with me, I feel that it was your positive remarks that helped her decide to go with me. If there is anything I can do to help you find someone to replace me on your team, please let me know.
#14 Thank you for recommending me to be the manager of the new team! I am looking forward to being a team leader and working alongside you. I am grateful for all the time you spent mentoring me and answering my questions about what it is like to be a manager here.
#15 Thank you for the promotion! Becoming a [job title] has been a goal of mine since I started working here 3 years ago. Because of your awesome support, I’ve been able to take the right steps and focus on projects needed to learn the skills for the position.
Thank you for the promotion and raise examples
#16 Working on your team has been amazing for my career. I am excited about the promotion to Senior [title]. Also, thank you for the raise! I appreciate them both and look forward to continued success here at [Company Name].
#17 I want to thank you for the recent raise and promotion. Your work ethic and leadership have been an inspiring example of how a boss should perform. I am looking forward to working side by side with you as I lead a team for the first time.
#18 Thank you for the raise and promotion! What a great way to end the year. I am grateful for both and will continue to enjoy working on your team.
#19 I am thankful for the promotion and the raise that came with it. You’ve been a wonderful boss and mentor to me. And, I’m excited that I will get to use more of my skills in [the new program that you have been learning] once I transition to the new position.
Example #20: Thank you for the promotion letter
Thank you for creating a new position for me and the promotion with it. Your support in pushing it through with upper management and human resources has been amazing. Thank you for trusting in my abilities and recognizing my passion.
Your support has changed my life. I will now get to spend more time doing the type of work I enjoy every day which will benefit the company.
Example #21: Thank you for the promotion and raise letter
Note: If you don’t want to mention the raise simply remove “and giving me a raise.”
Dear [Boss Name],
Thank you for promoting me and giving me a raise. I am delighted with both and will continue to work hard for you and the team. I look forward to the additional responsibilities as [job title].
The new projects you assigned to me during the past year challenged me and made coming to work every day a joy. The time you’ve invested in me has paid off. I’ve grown as a leader and in my technical skills which will benefit the company in my new role.
I plan to pay it forward and find a newer employee to take under my wing, just as you did for me. Investing in people is time well spent as you have proven over and over again.
Thank you for all your support.