Congratulations on being promoted!
Thanking your boss for your promotion will show your gratitude and appreciation.
How Do You Say Thank You After a Promotion?
The best way to say thank you for your promotion is with a thank you note.
What you say in your note may depend on what is involved in your promotion.
Here are a few questions to consider to help you decide what to include in your note:
- Is it a new position created just for you?
- Will you now be a manager?
- Are you being promoted to a senior position? Or moving to a different department?
- What does the promotion mean to you?
- Did your boss or manager recommend you for the promotion?
- Are you feeling grateful because the improvement of your skills is being recognized?
Answers to these questions may help determine if you want to thank your boss for something specific other than only the promotion. Then you can use the template below.
Thank You For The Promotion Template
This template can be used in an email or a handwritten note card.
If you work remotely or cannot hand your boss a note card in person for another reason, an email is best, as it’s not good workplace etiquette to ask your boss for their home address.
Thank you for the promotion to [Job title]. They say thank you for any help, mentoring, or support your boss provided that led to your promotion. And you can express your gratitude for the new opportunity.
You can also express your excitement for the new role.
Thanks again (or Sincerely, Kind Regards, etc.),
Thank You for Promotion Note Writing Tips
Here are some tips to help you write your boss a thank you message for your promotion.
- Say thank you for the raise too. Most promotions include a raise. So, you may want to thank your boss for the raise too. You can read the thank your boss for the raise messages that may help you with your note wording. There are also some examples included below. The primary reason for the note is thanking for the promotion, so adding “Thank you for the raise” is sufficient. Or you may not want to mention the raise at all.
- Short and sweet can work. A short note that only says “Thank you for the promotion” may be enough if you don’t have anything else you want to say. A longer message will better show your appreciation. However, only saying “Thank you for the promotion” is better than not expressing your gratitude at all.
- Note or Letter? The difference between a thank you note and a letter is the length. If you write more than one paragraph, that makes it a letter. Either is okay and how much you write will depend on your situation. For example, a letter can include details of how the boss helped make the promotion possible, such as mentoring.
- Read all the examples. I encourage you to read through the examples and write a note in your own words. You may want to take wording inspiration from more than one of the samples for your note. Your message will sound more like you if you don’t copy/paste one of the examples directly.
- Don’t mention dollar amounts. I don’t recommend mentioning any actual dollar amounts or percentages of your promotion raise, as you don’t know who else may see your note (even if sent via email). This will help keep your raise amount from your promotion confidential if other teammates happen to see your note.
Below are some examples of wording you could use in your note. Words in [brackets] should be filled in appropriately for your situation.
Thank You for the Promotion Message Examples
Below are some messages that will help you to say thank you for a promotion. In your promotion thank you note or letter, you’ll still want to include the greeting (Dear Boss’s Name), a closing (Kind Regards), and sign your name.
#1 Thank you so much for the promotion! I am excited and look forward to adding more value to the team in my new position. Again, I am grateful for this incredible opportunity.
#2 Thank you for the promotion. I appreciate that my effort in learning the [new skill] is being recognized. And thank you for being a great mentor and helping me learn how to apply my new skills.
#3 I am excited about my promotion! Thank you for recognizing my accomplishments this past year by promoting me to senior [position name]. I look forward to the continued success of our team.
#4 Thank you for promoting me to [position]. I am excited to start the position next week. Again, I appreciate you for trusting me with this opportunity.
#5 I want to thank you for promoting me. I appreciate the fantastic opportunity. And I look forward to continuing to grow under your leadership and the rest of the management team.
#6 What a great day! Thank you for promoting me to [position]. I will do my best to work hard and excel in this position. I am grateful for the opportunity for professional development.
#7 I am grateful for the promotion. The acknowledgment feels wonderful. Your input during the last few years has been valuable in helping with my career growth. Thank you for investing in me. I promise to make you proud in the new role.
#8 I look forward to starting in the manager role next week. Thank you for giving me a shot at leading the new team. Your support and mentoring during the past few months have been beneficial. Also, thank you for agreeing to help me transition into the new role.
#9 Thank you for promoting me to Senior [job title]. I’m excited to share my knowledge with others in an official capacity. Your guidance and frank advice have been very helpful throughout my career. Being promoted is the best feeling!
#10 Thank you for recommending that I apply for an open position on the team. I am very thankful that I am being promoted to the role. All that time using your advice to learn [program name] paid off. You’re the best boss I’ve ever had.
#11 I look forward to working as a [job title]. Thank you for promoting me. I will be just as dedicated to the new position and look forward to learning even more about [program or project].
#12 My career advancement at [company name] has been wonderful. I am thankful that once I put my skills to use that my value was recognized, and I am thrilled that I’m being moved up to the next level. I look forward to taking more online classes to further my skills as I continue to support the team.
#13 I am excited to let you know about my recent promotion to [job title]. Thank you for recommending me to [person’s name on the new/team department]. Since she hasn’t worked directly with me, I feel your positive remarks helped her decide to go with me. If there is anything I can do to help you find someone to replace me on your team, please let me know.
#14 Thank you for recommending me to be the manager of the new team! I am looking forward to being a team leader and working alongside you. This promotion means so much to me. I am grateful for all the time you spent mentoring me and answering my questions about what it is like to be a manager here.
#15 Thank you for the promotion! Becoming a [job title] has been a goal of mine since I started working here three years ago. Because of your incredible support, I’ve been able to take the right steps and focus on projects needed to learn the skills for the position.
#16 Thank you so much for promoting me. I look forward to my new responsibilities and continuing to serve this wonderful organization. I appreciate that my extra hard work and efforts are being acknowledged. My future here is bright, and I will do all I can to help grow the business.
#17 I am thankful for my recent promotion, and I am thrilled to be the new manager. I look forward to putting my abilities to good use as I take over during this critical time. Thank you for all that you have taught me along the way. It’s always a pleasure working with you; now, we will be in management together. This promotion means a great deal to me.
#18 Thank you for the promotion to [position]. I appreciate the recognition and am excited to make a more significant impact here at [Company Name].
Thank You for the Promotion and Raise Examples
Here are example messages for when you want to thank your boss for the promotion and the raise (hopefully, your promotion included a raise).
#19 Working on your team has been excellent for my career. I am excited about the promotion to Senior [title]. Also, thank you for the raise! I appreciate them both and look forward to continued success at [Company Name].
#20 I want to thank you for the recent promotion and higher salary. Your work ethic and leadership have been inspiring examples of how a boss should perform. I am looking forward to working side by side with you as I lead a team for the first time.
#21 Thank you for the pay raise and promotion! What a great way to end the year. I am grateful for both and will continue to enjoy working on your team.
#22 I am thankful for the promotion and the raise that came with it. You’ve been a wonderful boss and mentor to me. And I’m excited that I will get to use more of my skills in [the new program that you have been learning] once I transition to the new position.
#23 Thank you for promoting me and for the raise that came with it. In addition, I am thankful for the ongoing training opportunities that make advancement possible at [Company Name].
Thank You for the Promotion Letter
Here is an example thank you promotion letter to your boss.
Thank you for creating a new position for me and the promotion with it. Your support in pushing it through with upper management and human resources has been outstanding. Thank you for trusting in my abilities and recognizing my passion.
Your support has changed my life. I will now spend more time doing the type of work I enjoy daily, which will benefit the company.
Thank You Letter for the Promotion and Raise
Note: If you don’t want to mention the raise, simply remove “and giving me a raise.” Or you can say, “and the new salary.”
Dear [Boss Name],
Thank you for promoting me and giving me a raise. I am delighted with both and will continue to work hard for you and the team. I look forward to the additional responsibilities as [job title].
The new projects you assigned me during the past year challenged me and made coming to work every day a joy. The time you’ve invested in me has paid off. As a result, I’ve grown as a leader and in my technical skills, which will benefit the company in my new role.
I plan to pay it forward and find a newer employee to take under my wing, just as you did for me. Investing in people is time well spent, as you have proven over and over again.
Thank you for all your support.
How to Reply Promotion Congratulations Email
When you receive a promotion, your boss or coworkers may send you a congratulations email.
Here are some suggested replies:
- Thank you, Thanks, or Thanks you so much.
- Thank you. I am looking forward to the new role!
- Thank you for your kind words and congratulations.
- Thank you. I appreciate it!
- Thank you for your email. I’m excited to take on more responsibilities.